• On top of a North Dakota State football game for which 29,000 tickets already have been sold, Dave St. Peter said to expect announcements coming soon on some big concerts at Target Field.
• In football recruiting in the Big Ten this season, the Gophers finished eighth, ahead of Iowa, Indiana, Northwestern, Illinois, Rutgers and Maryland, according to 247Sports.com.
• Lakeville South tackle Riley Mahlman is getting a lot of Big Ten interest and has been visited by the Gophers' P.J. Fleck. He has offers from Iowa, Nebraska, Northwestern, Wisconsin and the Gophers.
• Vikings defensive standouts Danielle Hunter and Harrison Smith were honored by the Pro Football Writers of America. Hunter was named to the All-NFL and All-NFC teams while Smith was added to the All-NFC team.
• According to BetOnline, the Vikings have the eighth-best odds to win the Super Bowl next year, but they have only the third-best odds in the NFC North at 18-1. The Bears have the third- best odds overall at 10-1. The Packers are seventh at 16-1.
• Two who could be surprises in making the Vikings better next season are second year players Brian O'Neill and Mike Hughes. They both also have cheap contracts.
• Pro Football Focus has the Vikings drafting tackle Greg Little of Ole Miss at No. 18. PFF adds that the biggest question for the Vikings this offseason is whether to re-sign Anthony Barr and Sheldon Richardson. ESPN this week ranked Richardson as the 15th-best free agent available and Barr at 18th.
• Twins prospect Jaylin Davis, a 24-year-old drafted in the 24th round in 2015, had a strong showing at the Arizona Fall League, hitting .279 over 15 games. Fellow outfielder Alex Kirilloff, the Twins' top draft pick in 2016, could be in the majors soon. He hit .348 last year in 130 minor league games.