• With the Vikings exercising their fifth-year options on Xavier Rhodes and Sharrif Floyd for the 2017 season, the following players will be unrestricted free agents after the upcoming season, assuming they make the 53-man roster or don’t get contract extensions: Matt Kalil, Harrison Smith, Captain Munnerlyn, Phil Loadholt, Mike Harris, Rhett Ellison, Andre Smith, Shaun Hill, Terence Newman, Chad Greenway, Michael Griffin, Cordarrelle Patterson, Zach Line, Joe Berger, Jeff Locke, Audie Cole, Matt Asiata, Kevin McDermott, Justin Trattou, Kenrick Ellis and Travis Lewis.
• The early guesses are that the NBA salary cap will jump from $70 million this season to $90 million next season. The Timberwolves have $63 million in guaranteed salaries for next year, meaning they will be able to target some big free agents. One name to watch? Unrestricted free agent Luol Deng. The 31-year-old small forward played several seasons for the Bulls under new Wolves coach Tom Thibodeau and entered Saturday averaging 19.0 points, 6.6 rebounds and 2.1 assists in the playoffs for the Heat.
• The Hawks are facing the Cavaliers in the Eastern Conference playoffs, and the Atlanta roster features two Twin Cities products in Hopkins’ Kris Humphries and Rose-ville’s Mike Muscala.
• Anthony Anderson, the Eden Prairie running back who ran for 394 yards and three scores in the 2013 postseason when the Eagles won the state championship, signed to play FBS football at Marshall after attending Iowa Western Community College.
• Nathan Reuvers, the 6-foot-10 junior from Lakeville North, continues to pile up Division I basketball offers. He is up to 25 after recent offers from North Carolina State and Illinois. He has an offer from the Gophers as well, but Wisconsin, which has long shown interest in him, appears to be the favorite. Still the word is that Reuvers has strong family ties to Notre Dame and would jump at the chance to play for the Irish.