REDSHIRT OR NOT?
If you're questioning when to start your child in kindergarten, consider these questions from local early educational experts:
1. How does the child handle transitions?
2. Does he show an interest in being independent?
3. Does she have issues separating from you?
4. How are his fine motor skills? Can she write her name and cut with a scissors?
5. Does he show an eagerness to learn?
6. Is she able to stay on task from beginning to end?
7. Does he express his feelings appropriately?
8. Do your child's preschool teacher, pediatrician or day-care provider think she's ready?
9. What does your instinct tell you? Trust it.