college hockey roundup
No. 10 Michigan upset
• ROBERT MORRIS 4, MICHIGAN 0: Linemates Daniel Leavens and Zac Lynch each had a goal and an assist as the Colonials (3-1-2) stunned the No. 10 Wolverines (4-1-1) in Ann Arbor. Dalton Izyk had 34 saves for the shutout. Michigan won the first game of the series 5-3 by scoring four goals in the third period.
• WISCONSIN 2, ARIZONA STATE 1: Jedd Soleway and Seamus Malone scored goals to lead the Badgers (2-3-3) to a sweep over the visiting Sun Devils (3-6). Wisconsin won the series opener 5-1.
• OHIO STATE 5, MERCYHURST 1: Nick Schilkey had two goals and one assist to lead the Buckeyes (1-7) to their first victory of the season. Ohio State outshot the Lakers (6-4), who won 2-1 in the first game of the series, 52-28.
• UMASS-LOWELL 6, MINNESOTA DULUTH 3: C.J. Smith had a goal and three assists for the No. 7 River Hawks (4-1-2) in a road win over No. 6 UMD (3-2-2). Kyle Osterberg, Austin Farley and Brenden Kotyk scored the for Bulldogs. UMass-Lowell, which lost 2-1 on Friday, took a 4-1 lead by scoring three goals in the second period. Kasimir Kaskisuo and Matt McNeely combined for 25 saves for UMD.
• ST. CLOUD STATE 3, MIAMI 1: Patrick Russell and Kalle Kossila scored goals in the last four minutes of the second period to break a 1-all tie and lead the No. 14 Huskies (6-2, 2-0 NCHC) over the No. 15 RedHawks (3-4-1, 0-2). Charlie Lindgren made 33 saves for host SCSU, which won the series opener 3-0. Mickey Eyssimont had the first goal for the Huskies four minutes into the second period.
• MINNESOTA STATE MANKATO 2, ALASKA 1: Brett Knowles’ goal at 12:45 of the third period gave the Mavericks (4-4, 4-0 WCHA) a sweep over the visiting Nanooks (2-4, 0-2). Teddy Blueger’s power-play goal for MSU Mankato tied the score in the second period. Cole Huggins had 23 saves for the home team, Davis Jones 37 for Alaska. The Mavericks won the first game 5-2.
• NORTHERN MICHIGAN 3, BEMIDJI STATE 1: Cohen Adair’s goal midway through the second period broke a 1-all tie and Atte Tolvanen made 34 saves as the host Wildcats (3-2-3, 2-1-1) beat the Beavers (1-4-2, 0-3-1).
• NORTH DAKOTA 5, COLORADO COLLEGE 2: Chris Wilkie scored two goals as No. 1 UND (5-0-2, 1-0) beat the host Tigers (0-7, 0-1) in a conference opener. Rhett Gardner’s shorthanded goal midway through the second period was the game-winner.