Cold safety tips
Keeping warm can be dangerous, fire officials warn. No matter how low the thermometer reads, don’t do these things at home:
• Let a car run in an attached garage.
• Cook or heat with charcoal, or any other fuel that does not burn or get vented completely.
• Heat your home with an oven, which is minimally effective.
• Use space heaters too close to clothing, drapes or other fabrics.
• Overload electrical outlets with multiple space heaters;
• Leave space heaters on after everybody goes to bed.
• Drink too much — all it does is impair judgment.
Source: National Fire Protection Association