By Steve Brandt
If there’s been a Minneapolis City Council member trespassed before, neither MPLS nor Council Member Robert Lilligren has heard about it.
But that’s just the restriction that developer Basim Sabri placed on Lilligren several months ago. The Sixth Ward solon was served with an order that bans him from several Sabri properties in south Minneapolis under the city ordinance that allows a property owner to bar a person from a property for up to a year.
The use of a the city tool against an elected officer appears to mark a new chapter in the enmity that Sabri has displayed toward Lilligren. The developer has run afoul of city inspectors before, and blames Lilligren for sending inspectors to harass tenants of his immigrant-oriented marketplaces. Not only was Lilligren barred, but so was his aide, Nimco Ahmed.
The matter came to light when an editor asked this reporter to check to see if relations between the two men had improved at all in recent months. Sabri’s response was classic Sabri. The Palestinian immigrant, who has said he bears the scar of an Israeli rubber bullet on his stomach, said he’s more likely willing to sit down and talk with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu than Lilligren.
Sabri, of course, was sent to prison for bribing former Council Member Brian Herron. Lilligren said that Ahmed has a tire slashed shortly fter she was trespassed and went to a Sabri mall on city business.
More from Star Tribune
More from MPLS.
A 23-year-old man was charged Friday with robbing a north Minneapolis man with his own gun, as the victim and his girlfriend returned home from a trip to the casino, authorities said.
A pair of fire stations on the city's North and South sides will host a gun turn-in program seeking to take hundreds of guns off the streets and turn them into works of art, city officials and the nonprofit group Pillsbury United Communities announced this week.
A Minneapolis police officer disarmed and arrested a man who allegedly pointed a gun at another man during a fight that broke out outside a downtown police station on Monday, authorities said.
Minneapolis police officials on Monday denied charges that their officers were ordered to "stand down" during protests last week outside a fundraiser for Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump that produced a few tense moments, but no arrests.
A 20-year-old Brooklyn Park man has been charged with second-degree assault in the shooting of a 13-year-old girl in north Minneapolis' Camden neighborhood earlier this month, authorities said.
Recommended For You
Trump has repeatedly invoked Chicago's bloodshed on the campaign trail to frame himself as the law-and-order candidate in his race against Hillary Clinton.
Sullivan, 31 and coming off two back surgeries,did not play in Sunday’s preseason game so the coaching staff could get a longer look at Joe Berger.
About 60% of Minneapolis residents would see increases under Hodges' 2017 proposal.
Let's not recklessly lose sight of the vulnerable people it serves. Don't shut it down. Find a middle ground.
More than 150 guns were bought from residents Saturday in a buyback program that closed down hours early after sponsors ran out of the Visa gift cards they were exchanging for the weapons.