There's a little room in the basement of the Town Hall Brewery with a sign on the door that reads "Quiet! Beer Sleeping." Well, it's that time of year again for the specialty brews to come out of hibernation. Starting Monday, it's Barrel-Aged Beer Week at the Minneapolis brewpub.
Brewer Mike Hoops (pictured) will release six rare beers, each having slept for months in bourbon and whiskey barrels. Each day this week, a different beer will be released on tap. Here's the line up:
- Monday, Feb. 20: Buffalo Bock (German-style Weizenbock aged in a Buffalo Trace Bourbon Barrel)
- Tuesday, Feb. 21: Wee Jack (Scottish-style Wee Heavy aged in a Jack Daniels Tennessee Whiskey Barrel)
- Wednesday, Feb. 22: Twisted Jim (American-style barleywine aged in a Jim Beam Bourbon Barrel)
- Thursday, Feb. 23: Tumaltuous Rare (American Wheat Wine aged in an Eagle Rare Bourbon Barrel)
- Friday, Feb. 24: Barrel Monkey (American Double IPA aged in a Buffalo Trace Bourbon Barrel)
- Saturday, Feb. 25: Czar Jack (Russian-style Imperial Stout Aged in a Jack Daniels Tennessee Whiskey Barrel)
New this year: The brews will not be sold in growlers. Instead, customers can buy them in 750 ml bottles ($16), which Hoops says is better for the beer. To buy a bottle you'll need a ticket, available now at the bar. There will be between 100 and 200 bottles of each barrel-aged beer.
Details: Each day's tapping will start around 5 p.m.-6 p.m. Monday through Saturday (Feb. 20-Feb. 25). 1430 Washington Av. S., Mpls. 612-339-8696. www.townhallbrewery.com.
(Photo by Tom Wallace)