Movies can move us in many ways, including possibly moving us to buy things. The most recent annual list of the top 10 oil paintings sold online has a very French flavor, and in a press release Overstockart.com CEO David Sasson gives partial credit to Woody Allen's "Midnight in Paris" for reviving interest in Dali, Picasso, Monet and Kandinsky, all of whom are mentioned in the Oscar-nominated movie.
Not that Monet needed the boost: His ubiquitous works are frequent fliers on Overstockart.com's annual list. And Van Gogh remains a perennial top seller.
The most popular oil paintings sold online in 2011:
1. "Starry Night" - Vincent van Gogh
2. "Café Terrace at Night" - Vincent van Gogh
3. "Branches of an Almond Tree in Blossom" - Vincent van Gogh
4. "The Kiss" - Gustav Klimt
5. "Garden Path at Giverny" - Claude Monet
6. "Poppy Field at Argenteuil" - Claude Monet
7. "The Dream" - Pablo Picasso
8. "Farbstudie Quadrate" - Wassily Kandinsky
9. "Persistence of Memory" - Salvador Dali
10. "The Old Guitarist" - Pablo Picasso
I wonder if next year's list will be influenced by "Downton Abbey" fans, who swoon over the interiors of the Abbey (Highclere Castle in real life.)
What movies or shows have influenced your decor purchases? I still want to live in the "Something's Gotta Give" house but "Midnight in Paris" did make me look at airfares longingly.
Photo credit: "Midnight in Paris" by Sony Pictures Classics