Happy Anniversary Uber.
It was five years ago this month that the ride hailing service debuted in the Twin Cities and since then thousands of residents and visitors have tapped buttons on their phones to arrange transportation.
The first Uber ride in the City of Lakes was taken on Oct. 1, 2012, said company spokeswoman Charity Jackson.
Though it was not immediately known where the passenger who took the first trip went, lots of people have used the service to get to stadiums. Over the past five years, Uber delivered more than 15,000 rides to U.S. Bank Stadium and 20,000 to TCF Bank Stadium. The company would not say if those were the most popular destinations.
Here are a few other facts since service began:
- The longest trip taken covered 430 miles from Minneapolis to Bismarck, ND. The company did it say what the total bill was for the ride nor if it was the priciest on record.
- Uber's busiest day in the metro area occurred on Sept. 23 this year.
- The record for the number of people using Uber simultaneously occurred on New Year's Eve 2016
- The most popular item left in Uber cars: Cell phones. More than 4,000 have been left behind followed by rings, keys, wallets and glasses.
- Given rides to visitors from 75 different countries in the past 3 months alone
“This accomplishment wouldn’t be possible without our wonderful driver-partners and the welcoming people of Minneapolis. We are looking forward to providing a reliable transportation option for local residents and visitors alike for years to come.”