Syracuse 21, Gophers 17
The recap: Two fourth-quarter touchdown passes from Mitch Leidner gave the Gophers a 17-14 lead, but a 70-yard punt return with two minutes remaining put Syracuse in position for the go-ahead score.
What was learned: Offensive shortcomings cost Minnesota another win. The streak of 13 consecutive quarters without an offensive touchdown finally ended, but the Gophers couldn’t overcome their failures from early in the game.
YOU MIGHT HAVE MISSED:
• Maxx Williams injured a knee in the game’s final minute and limped to the bus after the game. The severity of the injury was unknown. He had a team-high five receptions for 76 yards and a touchdown.
• Sophomore Peter Mortell averaged 47.7 yards on six punts, the second-highest average in Texas Bowl history behind the 50.2-yard average by Houston’s Chase Turner in 2007.
• Senior Ra’Shede Hageman capped his Gophers career with two tackles for loss, giving him 13 for the season.
• Junior safety Cedric Thompson led the Gophers with a career-high 14 tackles.
• Cornerback Derrick Wells did not play because of an ankle injury.