MUSTARDY BEET SALAD
Note: From "Jane Brody's Good Food Book." Cost per serving: $1.06.
• 4 medium beets, tops removed, scrubbed and unpeeled, or 1 (about 15-oz.) can of sliced beets
• 2 tbsp. lemon juice
• 2 tbsp. Dijon mustard
• 1 tbsp. cider or other vinegar
• 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
• 1 tsp. sugar
• 2 tbsp. chopped fresh dill, or 2 tsp. dried dill weed
• Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
• 1 tbsp. fresh chopped parsley, optional
Put beets in a medium saucepan, cover with water and cook until they are tender, about 1 hour.
Drain and peel beets, cutting off the root ends and the rest of the tops. Slice beets crosswise.
In a medium bowl, combine lemon juice, mustard, vinegar, oil, sugar, dill, black pepper and parsley. Mix well, and add the beets, stirring them gently to completely coat them. Serve chilled.