Carrot Salad with Coriander, Cumin and Cilantro
Serves 4 to 6.
Note: Use a variety of colorful rainbow carrots in this light, refreshing salad. You can make it a day ahead and bring it to a picnic. From Beth Dooley.
• 1 garlic clove
• 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
• 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
• Pinch crushed red pepper
• 3 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
• 1/4 c. extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 lb. carrots, cut into thin matchsticks
• 2 tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
• 1 tbsp. chopped fresh mint
• Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Smash the garlic with the flat of a knife. Transfer it to a small bowl, then add the cumin, coriander, crushed red pepper and lemon juice. Whisk in the olive oil.
Put the carrots into a large bowl and toss with the dressing along with the cilantro and mint, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Nutrition information per each of 6 servings:
Fat 9 g
Sodium 53 mg
Carbohydrates 8 g
Saturated fat 1 g
Calcium 30 mg
Protein 1 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Dietary fiber 2 g
Diabetic exchanges per serving: 1 vegetable, 2 fat.