Lots going on this weekend in the recruiting world.
- Two Gophers targets came off the table. The first, Chicago wing Paul White, committed to Georgetown, which he announced via Twitter. White was at Georgetown on an official this weekend. He was previously scheduled to visit Minnesota on Oct. 4. The second, JUCO point guard Josh Gray, whom the Gophers had only recently gotten involved with, announced he would go to Florida State.
- Lourawls ‘Tum Tum’ Nairn added Michigan State to his short list, which previously consisted of Minnesota, Indiana and Oklahoma. MSU has recruited him for some time, but recently started making a stronger push after backing off the point guard for some time, Adam Zagoria of zagsblog.com reports. Nairn officially visited MSU over the weekend. Nairn has just one official remaining, to Indiana next weekend, and then is expected to make a decision.
- Five-star shooting guard Isaiah Whitehead unofficially visited Seton Hall over the weekend, and will visit St. John’s sometime this week. There has been no Minnesota visit scheduled as of yet.
- Josh Martin officially visited Florida State over the weekend. He will be in Minnesota next weekend.
- Riley LaChance unofficially visited Michigan State over the weekend. He is open to an official visit at Minnesota, but nothing has been set up yet. More updates on LaChance to come tomorrow.
More from Star Tribune
More from Gold in the Barn
From the Gophers’ perspective, any game they can gut out or steal is a big victory.
Through five games, Nebraska Omaha is playing at the third fastest pace in Division I college basketball. (And one of the Mavericks top players is a former Chaska star.)
The Gophers have collected 48 fouls in the last two games, and foul trouble contributed to Minnesota’s 81-68 loss to Texas Tech on Sunday.
The question now is whether Minnesota can move past a bad long weekend and pick up some steam through the rest of this month and next – or whether a not-so-easy slate between now and New Year's will put the Gophers on the path toward the basement.
The Gophers are young and inexperienced and while the future may be bright, the present is tenuous, at best.