By Kerri Westenberg

Q: I will soon take a driving trip through Europe that begins in Germany. When I rent cars in the United States, I skip the collision coverage because my credit card covers it. What should I do in Germany?
A: Credit cards generally don't extend their coverage to travel outside of the country, so you may want to pay for a collision damage waiver, despite the fact it can add hundreds of dollars to your costs. Know your options by checking directly with you credit card company: ask not only if they offer the coverage, but whether there is a deductible (often there is, and it can be high.) Minneapolis-based travel expert Durant Imboden, the guru behind the Europe for Visitors Web site, also offers this nifty suggestion: If you plan to stay longer than 17 days, consider a short-term lease. Get Imboden's insights here.