Hennepin County

Man faces multiple charges after chase

A man who led police on a chase that ended when he crashed his pickup truck in Wisconsin has been charged with breaking into the home of an elderly woman, sexually assaulting her and holding her captive for hours.

Jeffrey Morgan Groves, 51, of St. Paul remains in the Hennepin County jail on charges of first-degree criminal sexual conduct, kidnapping and first-degree burglary.

Officers arrested Groves on Wednesday after he led them on a chase that began in Newport and ended outside Hudson, Wis.

Groves had been wanted since the Nov. 3 sexual assault of the victim in her St. Louis Park home.


Dakota County

Officers' shooting of man ruled justified

Five police officers who shot and killed a man during a four-hour standoff last summer in Eagan were legally justified in their use of deadly force, Dakota County Attorney James Backstrom concluded Wednesday.

Backstrom rendered his decision after reviewing the facts of the case in which officers from the Eagan and Bloomington police departments shot Isak Abdirahman Aden on July 2.

According to Backstrom's report, officers responded just after 6 p.m. to a 911 call from a woman who said Aden, her ex-boyfriend, had threatened her with a gun as the two sat in a vehicle in Eagan.

The woman drove into oncoming traffic to create a scene, at which time Aden jumped out of the vehicle and ran, court documents say.

Officers caught up to Aden in the 1900 block of Seneca Road, where police say he sat down in a parking lot and put a gun to his head. Eagan officer Jeff Thul directed Aden to drop the gun, but Aden did not, saying, "[Expletive] shoot me."

As Thul tried to persuade Aden to surrender, SWAT teams from Eagan and Bloomington and armored vehicles were sent to the scene. Aden appeared to have surrendered when he set the gun down.

But three minutes later he picked up the gun again. That set off a series of tense negotiations over the next three hours.

Three flash grenades were ignited and officers fired two less-lethal munitions, two of which struck Aden.

But he lunged for the gun and began to raise his right hand while holding the gun. Five officers fired their weapons.



Synagogue fire setter chooses prison

Given the choice between treatment and a cage, Matthew Amiot chose a cage.

On Friday, the homeless man who started the fire that burned Duluth's Adas Israel Congregation synagogue in September asked to serve his year-and-a-day prison sentence after fleeing the treatment program he was ordered to complete.

In October, Amiot was sentenced to four years of probation and would stay out of prison if he followed the terms of his release, including high-intensity residential treatment. He fled the facility hours after he arrived, he acknowledged Friday.

Judge Shaun Floerke reminded Amiot what he told him at sentencing: that treatment would be harder than prison, and that if he messed up on supervised probation, "we have a cage."

Though another shot at probation was possible, Amiot calmly stated, "I would like to execute [my sentence]."

He will be given credit for 56 days served.

Amiot, 36, pleaded guilty to felony and misdemeanor charges of causing negligent fires in the blaze that destroyed the nearly 120-year-old congregation downtown.