Sunday supper: Gnocchi with Zucchini Ribbons and Parsley Brown Butter
- July 17, 2010 - 3:13 PM
GNOCCHI WITH ZUCCHINI RIBBONS AND PARSLEY BROWN BUTTER
Note: To make ribbon-thin zucchini, slice it lengthwise with a vegetable peeler or a mandoline slicer. No gnocchi? Use small pasta. From "Eating Well In Season," by Jessie Price and the editors of Eating Well.
• 1 lb. fresh or frozen gnocchi
• 2 tbsp. butter
• 2 medium shallots, chopped
• 1 lb. zucchini (about 3 small), very thinly sliced lengthwise
• 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
• 1/2 tsp. salt
• 1/4 tsp. nutmeg (freshly grated, preferred)
• Freshly ground pepper to taste
• 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
• 1/2 c. chopped fresh parsley
Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Cook gnocchi until they float, about 3 to 5 minutes, or according to package directions. Drain.
Meanwhile, melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook until butter is beginning to brown, about 2 minutes. Add shallots and zucchini and cook, stirring often, until softened, 2 to 3 minutes.
Add tomatoes, salt, nutmeg and pepper and continue cooking, stirring often, until tomatoes are just starting to break down, 1 to 2 minutes.
Stir in Parmesan and parsley. Add gnocchi and toss to coat. Serve immediately.
© 2013 Star Tribune