Designer Home Sample Sale starts today
- Article by: Kim Yeager, Connie Nelson
- Star Tribune
- November 5, 2009 - 10:06 AM
• The annual "Great Finds" Designer Home Sample Sale, sponsored by the American Society of Interior Designers, is set to begin Thursday and runs through Saturday at International Market Square. There will be discounts of 50 to 80 percent on furnishings and accessories, and special "couture room" with one-of-a-kind pieces, "flea market" items and a rug bazaar. 4-8 p.m. Thu., 9 a.m.- 6 p.m. Fri., 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Sat., IMS, 275 Market St., Mpls, www.facebook.com/greatfinds.
• Looking for inspiration for holiday entertaining? Here are two places to go for help this weekend: The Affair, which evolved out of the Chocolate Extravaganza, brings together Twin Cities experts on food, wines, cheeses, chocolates, table settings and much more. Members of the Star Tribune's Taste and Home & Garden staffs will be on hand both days at the Star Tribune Taste Stage. At 10:45 a.m., Taste editor Lee Svitak Dean talks about easy entertaining; 11:45 a.m., Kim Ode demos holiday cookies; at 12:45 p.m., wine columnist Bill Ward shares how to pair food with the right wine; and at 4:45 p.m., H&G's Connie Nelson gives tips for a great holiday tabletop . (For the full schedule, visit www.theaffairmpls.com.) The event is from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday and Sunday in Hall E of the Minneapolis Convention Center. Advance tickets are $25 ($30 at the door) at Kowalski's Markets, Panera Bread and Gaviidae Common, and the website.
"Perfect Parties," a gathering from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, sponsored by Mpls.St.Paul magazine, includes demonstrations on cooking, home décor, table settings and flowers. A fashion show, gift bags and samples of food, wine and beer complete the festivities. Order your $20 ticket at www.mspmag.com/perfectparties or pick up a discounted $15 ticket at Galleria Guest Services or Bachman's. Each ticket comes with a complimentary cookbook, to be distributed at the gathering. Woman's Club of Minneapolis, 410 Oak Grove St.
• Get a jump on your holiday crafting. You can make a mosaic glass ornament for free Saturday as part of the fifth-birthday celebration for Mosaic on a Stick in St. Paul. Bring a nonperishable item for the Keystone Community Services food shelf; 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., 595 N. Snelling Av., St. Paul.
© 2014 Star Tribune