Details: The Senate do-over scenario
- March 7, 2009 - 6:05 PM
THE SENATE DO-OVER SCENARIO
A theoretical look at how Minnesota's U.S. Senate election could give way to Coleman-Franken II: The Rerun.
• The Senate election trial, in which Republican Norm Coleman is challenging DFLer Al Franken's 225-vote lead, ends with the three-judge panel ruling in Franken's favor.
• Coleman appeals to the Minnesota Supreme Court.
• In the Senate, which has the final say on whom to seat, Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., moves to install Franken.
• Senate Republicans, holding 41 seats, block the Democratic majority from getting the 60 votes needed to break a filibuster and seat Franken.
• The Senate stays stalemated, public concern mounts for Minnesota to have its two senators, and the Legislature calls for a new election.
© 2016 Star Tribune