Christensen: Gophers feel good on injury front
- Blog Post by: Joe Christensen
- August 20, 2014 - 1:50 PM
The Gophers will release their first official injury report Tuesday, but for now, team officials insist they feel good about the health going into their Aug. 28 opener against Eastern Illinois. A few items of note:
* Wide receiver Drew Wolitarsky and defensive end Michael Amaefula have both been hobbled of late, but coaches say they still think both could be ready for the opener.
* Tight end Duke Anyanwu tore his ACL the first weekend of practice, and that was a tough blow because Anyanwu would have been one of the first replacements for Maxx Williams.
* Offensive lineman Jared Weyler also tore an ACL during camp, but he's a true freshman who likely would have redshirted anyway.
* The Gophers continue to take it slow with offensive lineman Jon Christenson, who is making his way back from last November's broken leg. They hope left tackle Ben Lauer (high ankle sprain) is ready to practice at full-speed Sunday.
From what I've gathered, that's about all there is to report on the injury front.
© 2017 Star Tribune