Chart: NFL rule changes and points of emphasis
- Article by: MARK CRAIG
- Star Tribune
- August 19, 2014 - 10:52 PM
NFL rule changes and points of emphasis
• When the quarterback is in the pocket with the ball, defenders can’t initiate contact with receivers more than 5 yards from the line of scrimmage. A receiver pushing off in the same situation also will be called for a penalty.
• Hands to the face is completely outlawed.
• Blockers can’t roll up on the side of a defender’s legs, in addition to backs of the legs.
• The clock keeps running after sacks in the final two minutes of halves.
• Pre-snap movements by offensive linemen will be more strictly enforced.
• Taunting and/or abusive language is an automatic 15-yard penalty.
• Touchdown celebrations are limited to spiking the ball. Dunking on a goal post is a penalty.
• Referees can confer with the NFL officiating department during replays.
• Uprights are extended from 30 to 35 feet.
• A loose ball on the field of play, not just the end zone, is reviewable.
© 2017 Star Tribune