10 Things to Know for Today
- Article by: The Associated Press
- Associated Press
- August 18, 2014 - 5:30 AM
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. MISSOURI GOVERNOR SENDS NATIONAL GUARD TO FERGUSON
The decision comes hours after police used tear gas once again to clear protesters demonstrating against the fatal shooting of an unarmed black teenager by a white policeman.
2. ISLAMIC STATE LOSES GRIP ON ITS GREATEST PRIZE, IRAQ'S LARGEST DAM
Iraqi and Kurdish forces, backed by airstrikes, have wrested back the Mosul Dam from Islamic militants who had captured it less than two weeks ago, according to the Iraqi army.
3. ISRAEL DESTROYS HOMES OF SUSPECTS IN TEENS' DEATHS
Israeli troops demolished the Hebron homes of two Palestinian militants suspected in the abduction and killing of three teenagers in June.
4. DISABILITIES RISING AMONG AMERICAN KIDS
A 10-year analysis finds slightly more children are afflicted with handicaps, with poorer ones still bearing a disproportionate burden.
5. A FINAL PAPAL PLEA IN KOREA
The pontiff called on Koreans--from the North and the South--to reject confrontation and find ways to forge peace on the war-divided peninsula and acknowledged the plight of wartime "comfort women" in his final Mass.
6. PERRY MOVING AHEAD WITH 2016 COURTSHIP DESPITE CASE
The Texas governor is visiting three early-voting states in the 2016 primaries in the next two weeks despite an indictment over two felony counts of abuse of power.
7. UKRAINE ARMY TROOPS PRESS INTO REBEL-HELD CITY
Ukraine's national security council said government forces captured a district police station in Luhansk in what could be a breakthrough development.
8. WHAT'S HITTING A 37-YEAR HIGH
Bourbon production is topping 5 million barrels for the first time since 1977, according to the Kentucky Distillers' Association.
9. HOW PAKISTAN'S CAPITAL IS COPING WITH CRIPPLING PROTESTS
Life is brought to a standstill in Islamabad as tens of thousands of people are demonstrating to oust the current government.
10. WHO CAME ATOP AP FOOTBALL POLL
Florida State, the defending national champion, is preseason No. 1 for the sixth time.
© 2016 Star Tribune