Healthy Family: Asian Pork Lettuce Wraps
- August 6, 2014 - 2:11 PM
Asian Pork Lettuce Wraps √
Note: Salty, citrusy and slightly sweet thin pork chops are grilled, sliced and tucked into lettuce leaves with a variety of other fixings. A flavorful dipping sauce spiked with ginger and peanuts finishes off this addictive dish perfectly. Fish sauce can be found in the ethnic foods aisle of most grocery stores.
• 1/4 c. light brown sugar
• 3 tbsp. fish sauce (see Note)
• 3 tbsp. fresh lime juice
• 2 tbsp. finely chopped fresh lemon grass
• 4 garlic cloves, minced
• 1 1/2 lb. thin boneless pork chops
For the dipping sauce and fixings:
• 1/3 c. fresh lime juice
• 1/4 c. fish sauce (see Note)
• 2 tbsp. light brown sugar
• 1 tbsp. peeled and minced fresh ginger
• 2 tbsp. chopped peanuts, optional
• 4 oz. rice vermicelli noodles
• 1 large head Boston lettuce, leaves separated
• 2 carrots, peeled and cut into matchsticks
• 1 English cucumber, cut into matchsticks
• 1/2 c. fresh mint leaves
• 1/2 c. fresh basil leaves
• 1/2 c. fresh cilantro
To prepare the pork: In a large bowl, whisk together 1/4 cup brown sugar, 3 tablespoons fish sauce, 3 tablespoons lime juice, lemon grass and garlic. Add the pork and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
To make the sauce: Whisk together 1/3 cup lime juice, 1/4 cup fish sauce, 2 tablespoons brown sugar and ginger together in a small bowl. Stir in the peanuts. Set aside.
Prepare the rice noodles according to package directions.
Preheat a grill to high. Remove the pork from the marinade and grill until just cooked through, about 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest 5 minutes, then cut into strips.
Arrange the pork and lettuce on a platter; set out the noodles, cucumber, carrots and herbs for fixings. Assemble the lettuce wraps and serve with the dipping sauce.
Nutrition information per serving:
Calories 234 Fat 7 g Sodium 960 mg
Carbohydrates 22 g Saturated fat 2 g Calcium 47 mg
Protein 21 g Cholesterol 54 mg Dietary fiber 2 g
Diabetic exchanges per serving: 1 vegetable, ½ bread/starch, ½ other carb, 2 ½ lean meat.
© 2017 Star Tribune