ID released of man shot dead in N. Minneapolis after fight on bus
- Article by: Vince Tuss and Matt McKinney
- Star Tribune
- July 27, 2014 - 7:48 AM
Authorities have identified a 38-year-old Minneapolis man gunned down in north Minneapolis after a fight on a Metro Transit bus.
Andrew Billingsley Jr. died of multiple gunshot wounds, the Hennepin County medical examiner’s office said Saturday night.
On Thursday night, Billingsley’s body was found in a gas station parking lot near 26th and Penn Avenues N. Police said an argument on the bus spilled out onto the street before erupting in gunfire.
A juvenile was arrested Friday morning in the connection with the shooting. Details weren’t released at the time, and they likely won’t be made public until any charges are filed.
Seventeen people had been killed in Minneapolis through July 21. That’s a slightly lower homicide rate than what’s been recorded over the past 10 years, with an average of 43 deaths per year.
Friday marked the start of increased police patrols in north and south Minneapolis. After a series of high-profile shootings and homicides in north Minneapolis this month, city officials announced a $300,000 plan to pay overtime for eight police officers and one supervisor to patrol the areas.
Vince Tuss and Matt McKinney
© 2014 Star Tribune