10 Things to Know for Friday
- Article by: The Associated Press
- Associated Press
- July 17, 2014 - 8:40 PM
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Friday:
1. PASSENGER JET SHOT DOWN OVER UKRAINE
Both the government and the pro-Russia separatists fighting in the region deny any responsibility for downing the Malaysia Airlines plane, which was carrying 298 people.
2. MIND-BOGGLING COINCIDENCE FOR AIRLINES
Malaysia reels from the second tragedy to hit its national airline in less than five months.
3. ISRAEL INVADES GAZA STRIP
It's the first major Israeli ground offensive in Gaza in just over five years and comes after efforts to broker a cease-fire between the Israelis and Palestinians failed.
4. MICROSOFT CUTTING 18,000 JOBS
The biggest layoffs in the company's history are aimed at allowing Microsoft to "become more agile and move faster," the CEO says.
5. VIRUS APPEARS IN US FOR FIRST TIME
The mosquito-borne illness, which has been tearing through the Caribbean, typically causes fever, severe joint pain and swelling, muscle aches and headaches.
6. WHO'S BEING SUED FOR ALLEGEDLY DECEPTIVE ADS
5-Hour Energy claims its users get extra energy and focus from a unique blend of ingredients — when the boost actually comes from a stiff dose of caffeine, a lawsuit says.
7. ARMY TO BEGIN CHELSEA MANNING'S GENDER TREATMENTS
The former intelligence analyst who leaked secret documents has been diagnosed with gender dysphoria, the sense of being a woman in a man's body.
8. HOW TO MARK ANNIVERSARY OF MOON LANDING
One way is to follow on Twitter as the Smithsonian recreates — in 140 characters or less per tweet — the eight-day Apollo flight that took place 45 years ago.
9. BROADWAY LEGEND DIES AT 89
Elaine Stritch was known for her brashness; gravelly, gin-laced voice; and impeccable comic timing.
10. WHY FIRST-ROUND LEADER AT BRITISH OPEN ISN'T RESTING EASY
Six times in his last eight tournaments, Rory McIlroy has played poorly each Friday, robbing him of a chance to win.
© 2017 Star Tribune