10 Things to Know for Tuesday
- Article by: The Associated Press
- Associated Press
- July 14, 2014 - 8:05 PM
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Tuesday:
1. ISRAEL DOWNS DRONE FROM GAZA STRIP
It's the first time the Israelis have encountered an unmanned aircraft since the start of their offensive against Hamas militants last week. Egypt, meanwhile, calls for a cease-fire.
2. CITIGROUP TO PAY $7 BILLION IN SUBPRIME MORTGAGES PROBE
The bank acknowledges a pattern of deception that Attorney General Holder says "shattered lives" and contributed to the worst financial crisis in decades.
3. AFGHAN CANDIDATE SAYS VOTE DEAL WILL WORK
Ashraf Ghani Ahmadzai tells the AP's John Daniszewski that a U.S.-brokered pact lays the foundation for a national unity government.
4. WHO HAS RETURNED TO REGULAR ARMY DUTY
Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl. But it's unclear when investigators will ask about his disappearance that led to his being held captive by the Taliban for five years.
5. 'GREAT DAY FOR THE CHURCH AND FOR EQUALITY'
That's what Britain's prime minister is calling the Church of England's vote in favor of allowing women to become bishops.
6. MIXED REVIEWS FOR HEALTHIER SCHOOL LUNCH FARE
School cafeteria managers are sampling bean burgers, peanut butter substitutes and other alternatives at a convention in Boston.
7. WHY BIN LADEN AIDE'S CONVICTIONS WERE SET ASIDE
An appeals court says the government offered little backup for the notion that a military commission was the appropriate place to try Ali Hamza al-Bahlul for material support for terrorism and solicitation.
8. PAKISTANI TEEN IMPLORES BOKO HARAM ON ABDUCTIONS
Malala Yousafzai, who survived a Taliban assassination attempt in 2012, visits Nigeria and urges Islamic extremists to free 219 kidnapped schoolgirls.
9. WHAT'S READY TO BE TOWED
The deadly shipwreck Costa Concordia is successfully refloated in preparation for it to be hauled away for scrapping, 30 months after it capsized.
10. STARTERS FOR MID-SUMMER CLASSIC SET
Seattle's Felix Hernandez will take the mound for the American League and St. Louis' Adam Wainwright will open for the National League at the All-Star game.
© 2014 Star Tribune