10 Things to Know for Monday
- Article by: The Associated Press
- Associated Press
- July 6, 2014 - 8:05 PM
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Monday:
1. JEWISH SUSPECTS ARRESTED IN SLAYING OF ARAB TEEN
Israel's leader calls for calm after authorities mark a breakthrough in a case that touched off violent protests in Arab sections of Jerusalem and northern Israel.
2. IRAQ ANALYZING TAPE SHOWING TOP MILITANT
The video believed to show Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi delivering a sermon at a mosque in Mosul would be the first public appearance for the Islamic State group leader.
3. WHAT THE TSA IS DOING AT AIRPORTS ABROAD
With concern about al-Qaida efforts to produce a bomb that would go undetected through security, some passengers will be asked to power on their electronic devices.
4. WHAT PRO-RUSSIA SEPARATISTS VOW TO DO
After being pushed out of Slovyansk, rebels pledge to keep fighting the military from Donetsk, the largest city in eastern Ukraine.
5. ' IT LOOKED AT ME AND ATTACKED ME RIGHT ON THE SIDE OF MY CHEST'
That's what great white shark attack victim Steven Robles says happened to him when he was swimming in Manhattan Beach, Calif.
6. WHAT SOME STATES ARE DOING TO PREVENT MASS SHOOTINGS
California and New Jersey are considering laws that allow officials to seize guns owned by someone police have declared dangerous.
7. CLIPPERS OWNERSHIP DISPUTE HEADS TO COURT
The trial will focus on whether Donald Sterling's estranged wife has the authority to unilaterally negotiate the deal to sell the team.
8. POLICE DESCRIBE CHAOTIC SCENE IN MIAMI CRASH
Four young adults are dead after their 32-foot boat crashed violently with another vessel after a Fourth of July fireworks display.
9. WHO WON THE BOX OFFICE THIS WEEKEND
With $36.4 million in its second week, the morphing robot series "Transformers" edges the Midwest road trip romp "Tammy."
10. HOW DJOKOVIC STOPPED FEDERER FROM MAKING HISTORY
The Serbian tennis star captured his second title at Wimbledon, preventing the Swiss legend from winning a record eighth.
© 2017 Star Tribune