10 Things to Know for Wednesday
- Article by: The Associated Press
- Associated Press
- July 1, 2014 - 8:10 PM
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Wednesday:
1. WHAT A MILITANT LEADER IS CALLING ON MUSLIMS TO DO
Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi implores Muslims worldwide to join the battle and help build an Islamic state in the newly conquered territory in northern Iraq and Syria.
2. FTC: T-MOBILE MADE MILLIONS OFF BOGUS CHARGES
The government claims the wireless carrier billed consumers for subscriptions to premium text services that were never authorized.
3. NETANYAHU VOWS TOUGH RESPONSE AFTER FUNERAL FOR TEENS
The Israeli leader holds an emergency Cabinet meeting to determine a response for the killings they blame on the Hamas militant group.
4. AFTER CEASE-FIRE, VIOLENCE IN EASTERN UKRAINE
Government troops and pro-Russia separatists fight an hours-long gunbattle in Donetsk as rebels capture the Interior Ministry headquarters.
5. REPORT: HEALTH LAW SIGN-UPS DOGGED BY DATA FLAWS
Millions of Americans who signed up for "Obamacare" now have to clear up questions about their personal information that could affect their coverage.
6. DEAD GUATEMALAN BOY'S FAMILY TALK ABOUT THEIR SON
The parents of a young Guatemalan migrant whose body was found in the Texas desert say he was 15 years old, not 11, and they begged him not set out on the dangerous journey.
7. GROUP: NEARLY 60 DEAD IN NIGERIA MARKET BLAST
Witnesses and officials blame Boko Haram, the Islamic extremists accused of a bombing campaign that has killed scores in recent weeks.
8. JUDGE STRIKES DOWN KENTUCKY'S GAY MARRIAGE BAN
The ruling was temporarily put on hold and it was not immediately clear when same-sex couples could be issued marriage licenses.
9. TROPICAL STORM ARTHUR THREATENS U.S. HOLIDAY
With the July Fourth weekend on the horizon, the Atlantic hurricane season's first named storm may mean a wet week for the East Coast.
10. UNITED STATES ELIMINATED FROM WORLD CUP
With three extra-time goals in a thrilling match, Belgium came out with a 2-1 victory over the Americans and a quarterfinal match against Lionel Messi and Argentina.
© 2016 Star Tribune