- Article by: SID HARTMAN
- Star Tribune
- June 28, 2014 - 6:40 PM
• Vikings offensive coordinator Norv Turner was asked how he’ll use wide receiver Jerome Simpson, who played in Cincinnati when new Vikings coach Mike Zimmer was there as defensive coordinator. “It’s fun to have that big speed guy on the outside, and when we’ve had it, that guy has usually averaged 18-20 yards a catch,” Turner said. “We do tend to get more single coverage, particularly with Adrian back there. [Simpson has] had a very good offseason, and hopefully he can be that guy they have to respect and if they don’t, hopefully he can make big plays.”
• The new roof being installed on Williams Arena is costing $7.5 million, with the administration and the Gophers athletic department each paying half.
• The 8-5 record posted by the Gophers football team last year hasn’t done too much to date to raise the sale of season tickets, with 8,482 sold at this time last year and 8,533 this year. Student season ticket sales are up from 1,053 at this time last year to 2,063.
• The second annual All-Star golf tournament, with Joe Mauer and Dave Winfield co-hosting, will take place July 16 during All-Star week and be sponsored by Starkey.
• The Gophers could have another Nagurski on the football team in the future in wide receiver Cyril Nagurski, a grandson of Ron Nagurski and great grandson of Hall of Famer Bronko. Cyril, who lives in Bismarck, N.D., recently visited the Gophers campus with his grandfather.
• Former Gopher Nate Hanson was promoted by the Twins from Class AA New Britain to Class AAA Rochester after hitting .273 with four home runs and 36 RBI in 71 games. The infielder earned the promotion by hitting .347 in June, with 11 RBI in 19 games.
© 2017 Star Tribune