Last 2 teens in West St. Paul homicide sentenced to 10 years
- Article by: PAT PHEIFER
- Star Tribune
- June 19, 2014 - 7:58 PM
The last of three St. Paul teenagers charged with the murder of Luis Reyes-Galvan, 31, who was gunned down in the driveway of his West St. Paul home in January 2013, pleaded guilty Thursday.
Malik J. Farmer, 18, pleaded guilty to second-degree murder while committing a felony. Dakota County District Judge Thomas Pugh sentenced him to 10 years and eight months in prison. He will be eligible for release after he has served two-thirds of that time.
Christino A. Rosario, 18, who pleaded guilty in December to the same charge, also was sentenced Thursday to 10 years and eight months.
The third person involved in the homicide, Donovan M. Diego, 19, pleaded guilty in April to intentional second-degree murder and was sentenced earlier to 23 years in prison.
All three had been indicted on charges of first-degree murder. According to the charges, they went to the victim’s home Jan. 11, 2013, armed with guns they had stolen in West St. Paul the day before. They intended to burglarize the home and rob Reyes-Galvan.
When no one answered the door, the three waited in a nearby SUV, the complaint said. Reyes-Galvan arrived home with his 10-year-old daughter and 12-year-old nephew, parked his car and walked toward the house.
The daughter told police she saw two men approaching her father, one from each side, carrying guns. Reyes-Galvan told the children to go into the house, then turned and confronted the teenagers. A fistfight broke out and two or three shots were fired. Reyes-Galvan was shot in the left shoulder, and the shot exited his right chest. He died at Regions Hospital in St. Paul.
© 2014 Star Tribune