10 Things to Know for Friday
- Article by: The Associated Press
- Associated Press
- June 12, 2014 - 8:10 PM
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Friday:
1. WHAT'S BEHIND COLLAPSE OF IRAQ'S MILITARY
Despite billions spent by the U.S. on training, the nation's army and police remain riven by sectarian discontents, corruption and a lack of professionalism.
2. TROUBLED WORLD CUP KICKS OFF IN BRAZIL
The games themselves might assuage anger over the $11.5 billion that the nation with millions of poor has spent on the tournament.
3. ARMY HASN'T RULED OUT BIG PAYDAY FOR BERGDAHL
The soldier could be in line for more than $600,000 if, among other things, it's determined he was a prisoner of war.
4. FOUR-TERM CALIFORNIA CONGRESSMAN ON TRACK FOR CANTOR'S JOB
Kevin McCarthy gathers support to become House majority leader, though some Republicans would prefer a stronger conservative.
5. BEHIND THE SCENES, GOVERNMENT WORKS TO KEEP SURVEILLANCE METHODS UNDER WRAPS
The AP learns that the Obama administration has been pushing local police to keep quiet about the technology they use to sweep up cellphone data.
6. WHOSE BEHAVIOR IS GETTING BETTER
American teens are smoking, drinking and fighting less — though they're still texting behind the wheel, a survey shows.
7. MANY WORKERS STILL WAITING FOR RAISES
Five years after the Great Recession, pay increases remain sharply uneven across industries in the U.S. and, as a whole, have barely kept up with prices.
8. HILLARY CLINTON ACCUSES NPR HOST OF 'PLAYING WITH MY WORDS'
Tension spikes when an interviewer repeatedly asks Clinton about her shift to support gay marriage.
9. WHY ANHEUSER-BUSCH, MILLERCOORS ARE REVEALING INGREDIENTS OF BEERS
The lists come a day after a prominent food blogger posts an online petition to get major brewers to say what's in their beverages.
10. RUBY DEE DIES AT 91
The African-American actress earned lead roles in movies and on Broadway while waging a lifelong fight against injustice.
© 2016 Star Tribune