10 Things to Know for Monday
- Article by: The Associated Press
- Associated Press
- June 8, 2014 - 11:25 PM
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Monday:
1. FIVE DEAD IN LAS VEGAS SHOOTINGS
Police say a man and a woman killed three people, including two officers, then committed suicide at a Walmart.
2. GUNMEN ATTACK PAKISTAN AIRPORT
The siege at Karachi's airport left at least 13 people dead as armed insurgents disguised as police stormed a terminal. Elsewhere, suicide bombers in southwestern Pakistan killed 23 Shiite pilgrims.
3. WHO SAYS HE WAS TORTURED BY HIS CAPTORS
U.S. Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl has told people treating him that he was tortured, beaten and held in a cage by the Taliban in Afghanistan after he tried to escape, a senior U.S. official said.
4. TRACY MORGAN 'MORE RESPONSIVE' FOLLOWING SURGERY
But the comedian remains in critical condition after sustaining a broken femur, broken nose and several broken ribs in a deadly chain-reaction crash on the New Jersey Turnpike, his spokesman said.
5. WHAT POPE FRANCIS TELLS ISRAELI, PALESTINIAN PRESIDENTS
"Peacemaking calls for courage, much more so than warfare," the pontiff says to Israeli President Shimon Peres and Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas while hosting them at a Vatican summit.
6. HOW KING COAL PRESERVES ITS POLITICAL MUSCLE
Even as the industry sheds thousands of jobs, Republicans and some Democrats in Kentucky and West Virginia must still defend coal, which maintains deep roots in Appalachia.
7. CITY WORKERS FACE DETROIT BANKRUPTCY VOTE
Some 32,000 active, former or retired Detroit employees could see a 4.5-percent drop in their pensions as part of the city's plan to shed $18 billion in debt and become solvent again.
8. FORMER MILITARY CHIEF SWORN IN AS EGYPT'S PRESIDENT
After winning the election by a landslide, Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi calls vows that there would be no reconciliation with those who took up arms against the government and Egyptians.
9. AUDRA MCDONALD WINS RECORD SIXTH TONY
The actress was awarded the trophy for her portrayal of Billie Holiday in "Lady Day at Emerson's Bar & Grill."
10. NADAL WINS 9TH FRENCH OPEN, 14TH MAJOR
No. 1-seeded Rafael wore down No. 2 Novak Djokovic 3-6, 7-5, 6-2, 6-4 in a muggy final in Paris.
© 2014 Star Tribune