Vigil planned for Minneapolis shooting victim Steverson, 17
- Article by: Matt McKinney
- Star Tribune
- June 3, 2014 - 9:01 PM
As Minneapolis police investigators continued to interview people Tuesday about the fatal shooting of 17-year-old Nehemiah Steverson, his heartbroken parents planned a community vigil for the boy they called their “heartbeat” and “laughter.”
The vigil, planned for 6 p.m. Wednesday at North Commons Park, will honor and celebrate the life of Steverson, his parents said in a statement.
“From the beginning to the end you are my heartbeat,” his mother, Angie Steverson, wrote. “Our long talks and your strong hugs is what will carry me through. Love, Mommy.”
Steverson died at the hospital Sunday morning, several hours after he was found by police officers who had been called to 16th and Newton Avenues N.
At least five people witnessed the shooting, according to police records.
The vigil will be hosted by the Steverson family and the Minneapolis Chapter of MAD DADS. Donations to help pay for Steverson’s funeral can be made to any BMO Harris Bank; the account is the “MAD DADS F.B.O. Nehemiah.”
Anyone with information about the shooting can call the Minneapolis police TIPS line at 612-692-TIPS (8477).
No more public information was available Tuesday about the shooting, which remains under police investigation.
Fourth Precinct police inspector Michael Kjos said officers in north Minneapolis have recovered 33 percent more guns so far this year than last year; with 220 guns taken off the street compared to 166 by this time last year.
Citywide, police have recovered 317 weapons this year, a 12 percent increase over last year.
“It’s clear that last year we were up in gun recoveries, and this year we’re still on that same path,” said Kjos. “What that shows is that there’s a lot of people using weapons in north Minneapolis, more so than in the rest of the city.”
Matt McKinney • 612-217-1747
© 2015 Star Tribune