10 Things to Know for Tuesday
- Article by: The Associated Press
- Associated Press
- May 5, 2014 - 8:05 PM
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Tuesday:
1. SUPREME COURT: PRAYERS BEFORE GOVERNMENT MEETINGS CONSTITUTIONAL
Writing for the majority, Justice Anthony Kennedy says the prayers should be seen as ceremonial and in keeping with the nation's traditions.
2. DISTURBING THREATS IN NEW BOKO HARAM VIDEO
The leader of Nigeria's Islamic extremists is threatening to sell nearly 300 kidnapped schoolgirls — and warning that more abductions are planned.
3. WHAT COULD BE CATASTROPHIC FOR UKRAINE'S NEW GOVERNMENT
The possible double loss of Odessa in the southwest and parts of eastern Ukraine could leave the country landlocked, cut off entirely from the Black Sea.
4. AGENCY SOUNDS POLIO ALARM
The World Health Organization says outbreaks of the disease across at least 10 countries in Asia, Africa and the Middle East require a coordinated international response.
5. FRACKING BRINGS FLOOD OF TRAFFIC
An AP analysis of data in six drilling states shows that in some places, traffic fatalities have more than quadrupled since 2004.
6. WHY TARGET'S CEO HAS LOST HIS JOB
The huge pre-Christmas breach of customer data leads to the resignation of Gregg Steinhafel, a 35-year veteran of the company.
7. COKE, PEPSI REMOVING CONTROVERSIAL INGREDIENT
The companies say brominated vegetable oil will be dropped from all their drinks as people increasingly look to eat foods they believe are natural.
8. CIRCUS TRICK SEEN ONLY RARELY
"Hair hanging" — which was being performed by eight acrobats who plummeted to the ground Sunday in Rhode Island — is a painful performance art practiced by fewer than a dozen circus families around the world.
9. WHO'S STRUTTING THEIR STUFF IN NYC
Stars of Hollywood and the fashion world converge on the Metropolitan art museum for the biggest night on the New York fashion calendar.
10. MICHAEL CARTER-WILLIAMS NAMED NBA ROOKIE OF THE YEAR
The 76ers guard is only the third player since 1950-51 to lead all rookies in scoring, rebounding and assists.
© 2017 Star Tribune