Dad of Massachusetts boy found dead plans funeral
- Associated Press
- April 20, 2014 - 3:50 PM
BOSTON — The father of a missing boy whose body was found off a Massachusetts highway says he was crushed to hear that his 5-year-old son's remains had been identified but is planning his funeral.
Jose Oliver tells the Boston Herald (http://bit.ly/1kP6wV0 ) he was "lost, angry and crushed" when the medical examiner called to confirm the body found Friday was his son's.
"I wasn't hoping to find him like that — wrapped in a blanket in a suitcase on the side of a highway like he was an animal or something," Jose Oliver said from his home in New Britain, Conn.
Jeremiah Oliver was last seen in September but wasn't reported missing until December.
Before his body was found, Jeremiah's case led to criminal charges against his mother and her boyfriend and calls for changes within the state's child welfare agency. Three workers were fired.
Worcester County District Attorney Joseph D. Early Jr. said the body was found at about 9 a.m. Friday by a police search team about 40 feet off Interstate 190 near Sterling, which is about 12 miles from Fitchburg. He said it was wrapped in blanket-like material and packed in material that resembled a suitcase.
Jeremiah's mother, Elsa Oliver, 28, pleaded not guilty in March to charges including kidnapping, assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, and reckless endangerment. Her boyfriend, Alberto Sierra, 23, pleaded not guilty to similar charges.
A spokesman for Early said Sunday that there was no immediate additional information.
© 2016 Star Tribune