Attorney for Wolves' Cunningham says threats allegation won't hold up
- Article by: PAUL WALSH and KENT YOUNGBLOOD
- Star Tribune
- April 9, 2014 - 12:49 AM
A day after being released from jail, Dante Cunningham entered the Timberwolves game Tuesday against San Antonio at Target Center at the start of the second quarter, hearing one or two boos from the relatively small crowd.
Cunningham, a 26-year-old forward, was charged Friday with felony domestic assault in connection with allegations made by a woman who shares a home with him in Medina. He was arrested again Sunday in Medina on suspicion of making terroristic threats through text messages to the woman. Bail was set at $150,000, and he left the Hennepin County jail after posting bail Monday.
Tuesday night he was back on the basketball court, getting five points and five assists in 15 minutes in the Wolves’ 110-91 victory over the Spurs.
Meanwhile, Cunningham’s attorney said he does not believe the second of the two criminal charges will hold up, and Hennepin County Attorney Michael Freeman released a statement saying that no additional charges had been filed and that a decision on whether to do so will be made in the coming weeks.
“I have been close to the case from the beginning,” Cunningham’s attorney Emanuel Serstock said. “The allegations [of terroristic threats] we totally deny.”
Cunningham did not talk with the media, but in a statement released by the team, he said: “The charges and accusations in my personal life have unintentionally placed my teammates and the organization in a challenging position. I cannot comment on the charges, as we require that the facts play out through the legal process. Thank you for your understanding.”
Cunningham joined the Wolves in Orlando on Saturday and started in place of injured Kevin Love. The NBA and its teams typically do not discipline or suspend players until the legal process is completed.
With five games left, the Wolves have an injury-riddled roster. Forwards Chase Budinger (ankle sprain) and Shabazz Muhammad (MCL sprain) are out for the season. Center Nikola Pekovic missed his fourth consecutive game (ankle bursitis) and guard Kevin Martin missed his third (sore foot).
© 2015 Star Tribune