10 Things to Know for Monday
- Article by: The Associated Press
- Associated Press
- April 6, 2014 - 10:15 PM
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Monday:
1. 'WHY FORT HOOD AGAIN?'
Pastor Robert Sperbeck echoed the question on many minds as he presided over a memorial service for soldiers killed and injured by a fellow service member who opened fire at the Texas base — the second such rampage there in five years.
2. WHAT NEW CLUES HAVE ARISEN IN MISSING PLANE HUNT
Searchers are racing toward a patch of the southern Indian Ocean to determine if a few brief sounds detected by underwater equipment came from the lost Malaysia plane's black boxes.
3. TREATMENT ELUDES HEROIN ADDICTS
Overbooked rehab facilities and the high cost of getting clean keeps many users of the drug from receiving help.
4. AFGHAN VOTE HAILED AS A TRIUMPH OF DEMOCRACY OVER FEAR
Millions of people braved a Taliban threat to elect a new president. But some cautioned against declaring a premature defeat of the Islamic militants.
5. WHO WANTS GM PROSECUTED FOR AUTO DEFECTS
Families of those who died in General Motors cars with faulty ignitions want prosecutors to go after insiders at the automaker who let the problems fester.
6. ON RWANDA GENOCIDE ANNIVERSARY, RECONCILIATION TAKES ROOT
"Forgiveness is possible. It's common here," says Josephine Munyeli, a survivor of the ethnic violence two decades ago and now the director of peace and reconciliation programs in Rwanda for a U.S.-based aid group.
7. GOP SEEKS COVERAGE CHOICES IN OBAMACARE
Even as Republicans vow to repeal the health care law, they have quietly secured a recent change to expand coverage choices.
8. SOME SIGNS OF STRONGER JOB MARKET
Hiring over the past 12 months has outpaced population growth, and more workers in the prime 25- to 54-year-old age group are finding employment.
9. GEORGE STRAIT WINS ENTERTAINER OF THE YEAR AT THE ACM AWARDS
The 61-year-old singer also won the same award at the rival Country Music Association Awards, an industry-voted show.
10. HUSKIES, 'CATS VIE FOR TITLE
Seventh-seeded Connecticut and eighth-seeded Kentucky meet Monday night in one of the unlikeliest NCAA championship games ever.
© 2017 Star Tribune