Wichita coach doesn't want U women's job; SDSU coach says he hasn't been contacted
- Article by: News services
- April 4, 2014 - 7:00 AM
Wichita State women’s basketball coach Jody Adams told the Wichita Eagle she is not interested in the University of Minnesota job.
“I want to stay and see [the Shockers’ program] continue to grow,” said Adams, whose team has qualified for two consecutive NCAA tournaments. “You always want to be in the right fit. There’s something to be said about, ‘Don’t mess with happy.’ ”
South Dakota State women’s basketball coach Aaron Johnston, also a possible candidate, said there had been no contact with Minnesota. “They haven’t reached out to me,” Johnston told the Argus Leader on Wednesday, “I haven’t reached out to them.”
Meanwhile, another name surfaced as a potential candidate for the Gophers position. It is Wright State coach Mike Bradbury, who just finished his fourth season at the school by leading the Raiders to a Horizon League Conference tournament championship and the school’s first NCAA Division I tournament appearance.
• The Gophers women’s basketball team will be a part of an eight-team field that will play in the Gulf Coast Showcase Nov. 28-30 at Germain Arena in Fort Myers, Fla. Also in the field are Arizona State, College of Charleston, Connecticut, Georgia Tech, Vanderbilt, Villanova and Wisconsin-Green Bay.
• The Gophers’ softball game with Wisconsin scheduled for 6 p.m. Friday was postponed because of inclement weather. The teams will play a doubleheader at 1 p.m. Saturday at Jane Sage Cowles Stadium instead of just one game.
• Hill-Murray forward Joey Anderson committed to play for the U17 U.S. national development team based in Ann Arbor, Mich., this coming season. He had 21 goals and 29 assists in 25 games with the Pioneers. Previously, he made a college commitment to Minnesota Duluth.
• Midfielder Miguel Ibarra signed a contract extension with Minnesota United FC. Terms were not announced. Ibarra, 24, was named to the NASL’s Best XI last season.
© 2016 Star Tribune