10 Things to Know for Wednesday
- Article by: The Associated Press
- Associated Press
- April 1, 2014 - 10:20 PM
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Wednesday:
1. POWERFUL 8.2-MAGNITUDE QUAKE STRIKES OFF CHILEAN COAST
The tremor sets off a small tsunami and causes landslides that block roads. Strong aftershocks follow.
2. GM FACES CONGRESS ON RECALL DELAYS
The company's new CEO admits she doesn't know why it took years for the automaker to fix a faulty ignition switch linked to 13 deaths.
3. PALESTINIANS RESTART BID FOR UN RECOGNITION
The surprise decision signals a new crisis in the troubled efforts to bring peace to the Middle East.
4. US WEIGHS RISK OF FREEING JONATHAN POLLARD
Releasing the convicted spy could spur talks between Israel and the Palestinians — or prove a costly embarrassment to the White House.
5. CONGRESS OKs $1B FOR UKRAINE
The loan guarantees are part of a bill giving lawmakers a way to denounce Russia for its military incursion and express support for Kiev.
6. WHICH YOUNG AMERICANS ARE STILL AT A CLEAR DISADVANTAGE
In every region of the country, white and Asian children are far better-positioned for success than black, Latino and American Indian youth.
7. 'GOOD NIGHT, MALAYSIAN THREE-SEVEN-ZERO'
Malaysia now says the last words from the cockpit of the lost plane were not, "All right, good night," raising further questions about the government's credibility.
8. WHY CANDIDATES REMAIN LEERY OF 'OBAMACARE'
The public by and large still views the law negatively — and that's unlikely to change much between now and the mid-term elections in November.
9. HOW APPLE SAYS SAMSUNG REACTED TO THE IPHONE
The South Korean company didn't have a product that could compete — so it stole the iPhone technology, Apple alleges in a patent infringement trial.
10. TIGER UNDERGOES BACK SURGERY
The world's most-recognized golfer will miss The Masters, denying him a chance this year for a fifth green jacket.
© 2015 Star Tribune