'Thunder' shooting suspect appears in Vegas court
- Associated Press
- March 24, 2014 - 3:40 PM
LAS VEGAS — A man accused of firing a gun as he tried to make off with costumes and props used by Thunder From Down Under male performers in Las Vegas appeared in court Monday.
Joey Kadmiri had visible injuries on his face during the appearance, when a judge set a preliminary hearing for April 7. He was hospitalized with facial injuries and a black eye after being subdued by several performers during last week's scuffle at the Excalibur hotel casino.
Kadmiri, 24, had refused to make an initial appearance Friday on charges of felony attempted murder, armed robbery, burglary and weapon charges.
In jailhouse interviews Friday with KLAS-TV and the Las Vegas Sun, Kadmiri said he suffers from mental-health and drug problems and needs outpatient therapy.
"I have these hallucinations that I'm running away from somebody, and I ended up backstage somehow," he said, adding he was on methamphetamines that night.
Terrified that someone wanted him dead, Kadmiri decided to use the show's costumes as a disguise, he said.
"I hope that I can get past this and get the proper mental help on the outside, outpatient, and be a good person again with my family and have everything being back to being normal. That is all I want in my life," he said.
No one was seriously wounded in the incident Tuesday at the Excalibur Hotel and Casino on the Las Vegas Strip.
Witnesses told police that Kadmiri pointed a gun at one show member's head before another cast member jostled the suspect's hand and the shot hit a wall.
© 2017 Star Tribune