Set list & more thoughts about Miley Cyrus at the X
- Blog Post by: Jon Bream
- March 11, 2014 - 3:43 AM
Star Tribune photos by Jeff Wheeler
Miley Cyrus announced that she wasn’t feeling well (for a change, she didn’t give TMI) but she certainly rallied for a hearty performance Monday at the X.
As my review indicated, she’s a little short on material but long on show-womanship.
A few more thoughts about Miley at the X:
- There were no foam fingers for sale at the souvenir stands. And those rolling papers (complete with two 24K gold one per pack) were scarce because only 35 were provided to vendors at the X. She had almost as many souvenirs featuring a tongue as the Rolling Stones, whose longtime logo is a tongue. By the by, the Hannah Montana tour from 2007 set a record for merchandise sales at Target Center in Minneapolis.
- She didn’t stick out her tongue much at the X but she’s got rock’s best tongue since Gene Simmons.
- When Miley put her baseball cap on backwards, she looked like Justin Bieber with eye makeup. She actually put on ball caps and a stocking cap tossed by fans. She also wrapped a fan’s bra (thrown onstage) around her shoulders for a nano second.
- Miley’s message is really in essence be yourself and don’t be afraid to let your hair down – even if it’s cut into a Beatle bowl.
- After a series of intended-to-provoke outfits cut so high in the leg, don’t you just get immune to them?
- Miley used a fair amount of animation on a big screen to accompany her songs. However, arguably the most artful video (not animation) was one suggesting bondage, with her smearing (finger)paint all over her face and body. That video was played while she was offstage changing outfits.
- Only two songs in her set pre-dated her 2013 “Bangerz” album: “Can’t Be Tamed” and, of course, “Party in the USA.”
- I’m guessing she didn’t know that Bob Dylan was from Minnesota because she didn’t make a fuss about him when she sang his “It Ain’t Me Babe,” which was done totally Cher (minus Sonny) style.
- At least she kept saying St. Paul throughout the night and never made the faux pas of shouting “Minneapolis.” She did remember being at the X last fall (she said November but it was really December for KDWB’s Jingle Ball).
Here is Miley’s set list from Monday:
SMS (Bangerz)/ 4X4/ Love Money Party/ My Darlin’/ Maybe You’re Right/ FU/ Do My Thang/ Get It Right/ Can’t Be Tamed/ metal musical interlude/ Adore You/ Drive/ Rooting for My Baby/ semi-acoustic set on satellite stage in bowl end: It Ain’t Me Babe (Bob Dylan)/ Ruler of My Heart (Linda Ronstadt)/ Summertime Sadness (Lana Del Ray)/ Hey Ya (OutKast)/ Jolene (Dolly Parton)/ back to mainstage 23/ On My Own/ Someone Else ENCORE 1 We Can’t Stop/ Wrecking Ball ENCORE 2 Party in the USA
© 2016 Star Tribune