Recipe: Chicken Soup With Roasted Butternut Squash and Apples
- March 5, 2014 - 1:31 PM
Chicken Soup with Roasted Butternut Squash AND Apples √
Note: Sweet butternut squash and apples alongside the chicken and sautéed leeks make a great team and an interesting departure from standard chicken soup. From Meredith Deeds.
• 1 1/2 lb. butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2-in. cubes (about 5 c.)
• 2 tbsp. olive oil, divided
• 1/2 tsp. salt, divided
• 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper, divided
• 2 medium leeks (white and pale green parts only), halved lengthwise, cleaned, then thinly sliced
• 6 c. low-sodium chicken broth
• 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1/2-in. cubes
• 3 sprigs fresh thyme
• 2 bay leaves
•3 c. shredded cooked chicken
• 1/4 c. chopped parsley
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Arrange squash on a large baking sheet, sprinkle 1 tablespoon oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and toss to coat. Roast until just tender and brown in spots, turning occasionally, about 25 to 35 minutes.
Heat large pot over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil and leeks. Sauté until softened, about 6 minutes. Add broth, squash, apples, thyme, bay leaves and remaining salt and pepper. Simmer over low heat 20 minutes. If you prefer a creamier consistency, mash the apples and squash against the side of the pot with a wooden spoon. Add chicken and cook a few more minutes. Remove from heat and stir in parsley. Serve hot.
Nutrition information per serving:
Calories 285 Fat 11 g Sodium 390 mg
Carbohydrates 23 g Saturated fat 2 g Calcium 79 mg
Protein 26 g Cholesterol 60 mg Dietary fiber 4 g
Diabetic exchanges per serving: ½ fruit, 1 bread/starch, 3 lean meat, ½ fat.
© 2015 Star Tribune