AP source: Richie Incognito receiving treatment
- Article by: STEVEN WINE
- Associated Press
- March 1, 2014 - 6:40 PM
MIAMI — Embattled former Miami Dolphins guard Richie Incognito is receiving treatment in the wake of the team's bullying scandal, a person familiar with the situation said Saturday.
The person commented to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because Incognito hasn't discussed the situation publicly. The person said the NFL Players Association is supporting Incognito's treatment.
Another person familiar with Incognito's situation said the veteran lineman is exhausted after being "dragged through the mud" in recent months.
Incognito has sent tweets in recent weeks that varied dramatically in tone. He went on a rant that quickly went viral, blasting former teammate Jonathan Martin and his agent, then later tweeted apologies to Martin, Dolphins owner Stephen Ross and Ted Wells, the attorney who investigated the bullying scandal for the NFL.
On Thursday, police in Scottsdale, Ariz., said Incognito told an officer he put several dents in the hood of his Ferrari in an apparent tantrum.
Wells' investigation determined Incognito and two other offensive linemen engaged in persistent harassment of Martin, another offensive lineman and an assistant trainer. After a report on the investigation was released last month, the Dolphins fired offensive line coach Jim Turner and longtime trainer Kevin O'Neill.
Martin abruptly left the Dolphins last October, underwent counseling for emotional issues and alleged persistent harassment by teammates. Incognito was suspended Nov. 3 and missed the final eight games.
Both have said they want to play in 2014, but neither is expected to be back with the Dolphins.
© 2015 Star Tribune