Rayno: 'Welcome back, Minnesota,' and more links from the win over Iowa
- Blog Post by: Amelia Rayno
- February 26, 2014 - 9:49 AM
Five tidbits following the biggest Gophers win of the season.
The Opening Tip is a new feature to Gold in the Barn, with the goal being to share five nuggets -- mostly Gophers or Big Ten related but occasionally not -- every morning between 8 and 10. Dig it? Hate it? Want to see something specific in it? Send me feedback at firstname.lastname@example.org or tweet me @AmeliaRayno.
2. Coach Richard Pitino on the victory: "We are happy with where we are at. We were picked at the bottom of the league -- 10th, 11th, 12th ...
[Here he asked me where I picked them; I said 9th; he reminded me they are two better than that.]
"I didn't take this job and make the NCAA tournament our goal. I hope we make it, but if we don't I'm not looking at this as an unsuccessful season. I'm proud of what they've showed so far."
4. Recruiting update: Gophers 2015 target Elijah Thomas scored 19 points, 10 rebounds and added three blocks for Lancaster in game vs. Whitehouse last night (via @D1circuit).
5. Video highlights so you can watch the win over Iowa all over again.
@DaveCampbellAP: "Worth repeating: 95 points total for #Gophers in losses last week to Illinois/Ohio State. 95 points tonight in win over Iowa."
@FromTheBarn: "#gophers had highest effective field goal percentage (3s count as 1.5 made FGs) since at least 2003. Stats not available further back.
@NadineBabu: "Fran McCaffery: (Minnesota) is a good three-point shooting team. The numbers have not told the story recently." #Gophers
@DanOwen247: "With that win, the #Gophers will be undefeated at home against ranked teams, which hasn't happened in at least 10 years (got bored looking)."
@TrendsmapMPLS: "'buggs' is not trending in #Minneapolis."
*Gopherhole poll: Who was the Gophers MVP from Tuesday -- Austin Hollins? Charles Buggs? DeAndre Mathieu? Check it out here.
© 2017 Star Tribune