Capsizing death toll rises to 8 Haitians
- Associated Press
- February 23, 2014 - 8:25 PM
SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic — The bodies of three more Haitians have been recovered by authorities in the Dominican Republic, raising the death toll to eight from a capsizing of a smuggler's boat last week.
Local civil defense chief Leoncio Calderon Castillo says searchers found the bodies of two Haitian men washed up on a beach Sunday. Another migrant's body was found in nearby waters where the 25-foot (7-meter) boat capsized.
Last week, a dozen Haitian migrants who took the risky sea journey looking for a better life were rescued by the Dominican navy.
The rescued migrants told authorities the boat departed early Thursday for the U.S. island of Puerto Rico and overturned a few miles (kilometers) from shore. Smugglers had stolen the boat from a tourism business.
© 2015 Star Tribune