Rayno: Just how badly were the Gophers hurt by Illinois loss?
- Blog Post by: Amelia Rayno
- February 20, 2014 - 9:53 AM
The Opening Tip is a new feature to Gold in the Barn, with the goal being to share five nuggets -- mostly Gophers or Big Ten related but occasionally not -- every morning between 8 and 10. Dig it? Hate it? Want to see something specific in it? Send me feedback at email@example.com or tweet me @AmeliaRayno.
Five tidbits as I wait, solemnly, for this snow storm to re-bury us.
1. In case you missed it, there was a game last night. Don't want to talk about it? Fine. Read at your own will: my story from the 62-49 loss, and notes on the blog.
2. Just how bad did last night's loss hurt? The Gophers fell nine spots to 46th in RPI and in terms of offensive efficiency, dropped from 22nd to 35th in the nation with the fall, accoring to kenpom.com. Here, from CBS Sports' Jeff Borzello, how badly Minnesota's bubble chances were battered.
3. The Gophers nearly got a gift in their upcoming game at Ohio State, but not so fast. LaQuinton Ross was ejected from the Buckeyes' contest against Northwestern after getting into a scuffle with Nicola Cerina. He will, however, not be suspended for OSU's next game -- against the Gophers. Cerina will be suspended for one game. Via Bob Baptist of the Columbus Dispatch.
4. Minnesota could potentially boost its RPI up to two or three spots tonight if all goes well. What needs to happen? Ask the Palm reader.
5. Here you go, something nice. Want to re-live Austin Hollins' hammer dunk from last night? You're welcome.
© 2016 Star Tribune