10 Things to Know for Today
- Article by: The Associated Press
- Associated Press
- February 20, 2014 - 5:10 AM
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. TRUCE COLLAPSES IN UKRAINE, DEATH TOLL MOUNTS
An AP reporter counts 18 bodies at the sprawling protest encampment in Kiev in new eruption of violence.
2. TEARFUL KOREAN REUNIONS BEGIN
Weeping and embracing, dozens of elderly North and South Koreans separated for six decades reunite — temporarily.
3. WHERE LOTTERY TICKET WORTH $425 MILLION WAS SOLD
Officials say the winning ticket — 1, 17, 35, 49, 54 and a Powerball of 34 — was bought in California at convenience store north of San Jose.
4. FACEBOOK'S $19 BILLION BET ON WHATSAPP RAISES CONCERNS
Some industry watchers fear tech companies are becoming overzealous in pursuit of promising new products and services.
5. GROUP SAYS U.S. DRONE STRIKE MAY HAVE KILLED CIVILIANS
U.S. says it hit al-Qaida members in Yemen strike, but Human Rights Watch says a dozen people on their way to a wedding may have died.
6. UGANDA LAW WOULD IMPOSE LIFE SENTENCE FOR SOME HOMOSEXUAL ACTS
President's decision to sign legislation highlights apparent inability of Western governments to temper anti-gay measures in Africa.
7. WHY DEAL TO MOVE U.S. MARINE BASE ON OKINAWA OPENS NEW FRUSTRATIONS
Less-crowded location was supposed to placate Okinawans. Instead it reinforces that U.S. military won't be reducing its forces in Japan.
8. WHAT INVESTIGATORS ARE LOOKING AT IN CRASH OF UPS CARGO JET
Pilot fatigue among the issues the safety board is eyeing in the accident that killed two pilots in Alabama last August.
9. FIGHT OVER KEYSTONE PIPELINE UNLIKELY TO END SOON
As pressure was building on Obama to make a decision, judge rejects Nebraska law allowing oil line to pass through the state.
10. TWO DOZEN TRIBAL CEREMONIAL ITEMS SET TO RETURN TO ARIZONA
A charitable foundation pays $530,000 at an auction in France for hoods, ornate masks that Hopi, Apache tribes say promote healing and harmony.
© 2017 Star Tribune