Rayno: Two big men on campus, Gophers improve on bubble
- Blog Post by: Amelia Rayno
- February 19, 2014 - 9:31 AM
The Opening Tip (as you can see, the name is in a little bit of flux here) is a new feature to Gold in the Barn, with the goal being to share five nuggets -- mostly Gophers or Big Ten related but occasionally not -- every morning between 8 and 10. Dig it? Hate it? Want to see something specific in it? Send me feedback at email@example.com or tweet me @AmeliaRayno.
Five tidbits as I'm listening to birds -- (Birds??! Birds.) -- outside.
2. Keeping an eye on the bubble? There were several losers last night which probably helped -- certainly Providence' heartbreaker to Villanova and Richmond losing vs. George Washington -- to solidify the Gophers bid just a little more. From CBS Sports' Jeff Borzello.
3. Recruiting update, part one. Last night: Gophers commit Nate Mason scored 29 points and added seven assists, five rebounds and four steals in a win over Life Christian; Gophers 2014 target DuJuan Piper finished with 11 points, nine rebounds and seven assists in a win vs. Bainbridge; Gophers 2015 target Eli Thomas had 20 points, 11 rebounds and four assists in a win over Sachse (via @D1Circuit).
4. Recruiting update, part two. In addition to Anas Osama Mahmoud coming to Minneapolis on his official visit, 6-11 center Bakary Konate (Kansas) is also in town, on his official, a source confirmed. So many big men on campus.
5. Just how desolate is Detroit? Apparently bad enough that Bigfoots think they're in the middle of nowhere and just come right out in the open. (Just kidding, Detroit, I have no hate, I enjoyed my brief stint living there!) But seriously, this was no squirrel.
*No Gophers were on the Cousy Award list of finalists, but Golden Valley native, Harvard's Siyani Chambers, did make the cut.
*Never complain about Williams Arena again.
© 2014 Star Tribune