IT’S BEHIND YOU Michigan goalie Steve Racine looked back at the puck as the Gophers’ Justin Kloos scored during the first period of Friday night’s game at Mariucci Arena. The Gophers led the Wolverines 4-2 after two periods at deadline of this edition of the Star Tribune; for complete coverage, visit startribune.com/gophers.
RENÉE JONES SCHNEIDER • firstname.lastname@example.org,
Friday's college hockey roundup
- February 14, 2014 - 11:52 PM
MSU wins its fourth shootout
• MICHIGAN STATE 2, PENN STATE 2 (tie): The Spartans (8-13-7, 2-5-6-4 Big Ten) tied the score Friday on Michael Ferrantino’s goal at 16:06 of the third period and won the shootout on Brent Darnell’s goal. Their four shootout wins are an NCAA best this season. Ricky DeRosa and Dylan Richard scored second-period goals for the host Nittany Lions (5-18-2, 1-9-1).
• OHIO STATE 2, WISCONSIN 1: Tyler Lundey and Darik Angeli scored goals in the first period for the Buckeyes (15-9-3, 5-5-3) and goalie Christian Frey made sure that was enough in Columbus. Frey stopped 29 shots. Michael Mersch scored the lone goal for the No. 8 Badgers (16-9-2, 7-5-1).
• ST. CLOUD STATE 5, MINNESOTA DULUTH 3: Jimmy Murray scored two goals and Nic Dowd had a goal and an assist as the No. 6 Huskies (16-6-5, 10-4-3 NCHC) beat the No. 16 Bulldogs (13-10-4, 8-7-2-2) in St. Cloud.
• NORTH DAKOTA 3, MIAMI 2: Mark MacMillan has two goals as No. 17 UND (15-9-3, 10-7) edged the RedHawks (10-14-3, 4-12-1-1) in Grand Forks.
• FERRIS STATE 4, BEMIDJI STATE 1: The No. 4 Bulldogs (21-6-3, 16-3-2 WCHA) scored three goals in the third period to beat the Beavers (8-16-7, 8-11-4) on the road.
• MINNESOTA STATE MANKATO 4, ALABAMA HUNTSVILLE 0: Bryce Gervais’ two goals led the host Mavericks (18-13, 16-7).
© 2015 Star Tribune