Friday's prep roundup
- February 14, 2014 - 11:51 PM
BASKETBALL • BOYS
Top-ranked Eagles roll
• APPLE VALLEY 77, BLOOMINGTON JEFFERSON 63: Tyus Jones had 23 points and 13 assists and sophomore Brock Bertram had 18 points and 10 rebounds as the Eagles, ranked No. 1 in Class 4A, defeated the Jaguars. Kyle Lynch scored 20 points to lead the Jaguars.
• HOPKINS 95, MINNETONKA 86: The Royals, ranked No. 2 in Class 4A, outlasted the Skippers for their 18th consecutive victory. Kamali Chambers scored 26 points to lead the Royals (23-1). Amir Coffey scored 19 and John Warren added 18 for the Royals. Justin Moes scored 17 to lead the Skippers, who made 12 three-pointers.
• LAKEVILLE NORTH 75, ROSEMOUNT 51: J.P. Macura scored 21 points in the first half to spark to the Panthers to the victory. Macura finished with 29 points. The Panthers outlasted the Irish 97-93 in three overtimes last month.
• MINNEHAHA ACADEMY 55, BLAKE 52: Ninth-grader Simeon Davis’ three-pointer — his only points of the game — with 2.4 seconds remaining lifted the Redhawks to the victory.
• PARK CENTER 94, BLAINE 89: Isaiah McKay, Amani Hooker and Isaac Matthews combined for 85 points to fuel the Pirates over the Bengals. McKay, a senior guard, scored 32 points, including his 1,000th career point. Hooker added 28 and Matthews contributed 25. Jason Travis scored 33 to lead the Bengals.
• ST. AGNES 51, ST. ANTHONY 40: Senior guard Nick Turch scored 14 points and became the Aggies’ career leading scorer in the victory over the Huskies. Turch now has 1,461 career points.
• TOTINO-GRACE 89, COOPER 86 (OT): Cole Wagner’s three-pointer at the buzzer lifted the Eagles past the Hawks.
BASKETBALL • GIRLS
Kennedy hands first loss to top-ranked Eastview
• BLOOMINGTON KENNEDY 73, EASTVIEW 60: Sophomore Lashayla Wright-Ponder had 26 points and 10 rebounds and senior Kenisha Bell had 20 points and 10 assists to help the Eagles, ranked No. 9 in Class 4A, hand top-ranked Eastview its first loss of the season. Madison Guebert scored 28 to lead the Lightning.
• MINNETONKA 61, HOPKINS 55: The Skippers, ranked No. 4 in Class 4A, rallied from a one-point halftime deficit to defeat the Royals, ranked No. 2 in Class 4A. Caroline Shelquist scored 13 to lead the Skippers. Nia Hollie scored 17 to lead the Royals.
• MINNEAPOLIS ROOSEVELT 55, MINNEAPOLIS NORTH 54: Sophomore Makayla Lemieux’s field goal at the buzzer lifted the Teddies to the victory. Lemieux led the Teddies with 15 points.
HOCKEY • GIRLS
Pioneers are back at state
• SECTION 4: Hill-Murray, the runner-up at last year’s Class 2A tournament, earned a state tournament berth with a 4-1 victory over Stillwater. Laura Anderson scored the Pioneers’ first two goals.
HOCKEY • BOYS
Goalie carries White Hawks
• MOUND-WESTONKA 2, ORONO 0: Senior goalie Jack Leschisin had 47 saves to lead the White Hawks to the victory. Chase Robertson and Jack Sterne scored in the third period for the White Hawks, who were outshot 47-18.
• Apple Valley earned its 32nd consecutive appearance in the state wrestling meet by winning the Class 3A, Section 3 championship. The Eagles defeated Minneapolis Southwest (79-0) and Eagan (62-3) to reach the section championship match. The Eagles defeated Rosemount 60-9 for the title. The Eagles have won eight consecutive state titles.
© 2014 Star Tribune