Need help with closing costs? A new program offers 3.5% in assistance
- Blog Post by: Jim Buchta
- February 13, 2014 - 10:15 AM
Fannie Mae announced a new program today that offers homebuyers in Minnesota and 26 other states up to 3.5 percent in closing cost assistance when they purchase a HomePath property during what's known as the FirstLook period. Here's how Fannie describes the program:
- During the FirstLook period, owner-occupant or public entity buyers are able to submit offers on HomePath properties, giving them the opportunity to purchase homes without competition from investors. Fannie Mae recently announced the extension of the FirstLook period from fifteen days to twenty days.
- To be eligible for the incentive, the initial offer must be submitted between February 14 and March 31 and close on or before May 31. The incentive will offer qualified buyers up to 3.5 percent of the final sales price to pay closing costs. In many cases, buyers could use these savings to buy down their interest rate through upfront points, resulting in additional savings over time.
- Buyers can work with the lender of their choice to determine if this is an option. Prospective buyers can search for properties and easily identify how many days remain on a property’s FirstLook period by visiting www.HomePath.com. Each qualifying property will be identified by the sales incentive icon. HomePath properties offer buyers a wide selection of options, including single-family homes, condominiums, and town houses.
- For more details go to www.homepath.com.
© 2016 Star Tribune